The Mogul Mom Features…Jules Pieri of Daily Grommet

by Heather Allard on July 10, 2009

Daily Grommet's Jules PieriWhat is your name & how many children do you have?

Jules Pieri, I have three sons from ages 14 to 20.

What’s the name of your company and the inspiration behind it?

My company is Daily Grommet – a product discovery and video review site featuring products of great utility, style or invention that haven’t hit the big-time yet. We focus on product origins and tell the story behind one unique product every day. I’m an industrial designer, and I based my company on the premise that people are increasingly thoughtful about the products and experiences they buy–and that they especially like to support “little guy” companies and the socially beneficial products they produce.

What was your start-up cost (rough estimate) and is your company profitable?

We are working on a seed round of funding, which is under $1MM.  We are not (yet) profitable.

What is your current business struggle?

Strangely enough, our business is well suited to the current economy.  People are tired of nameless, faceless consumer products and are more thoughtful about the things they welcome into their homes.  The Daily Grommet stories really serve that need very well–we bring more meaning and understanding to product stories and purchases.  The economy does make investors very skittish, so that is the challenge in the business.

What is your current business goal?

I’m eager to expose Daily Grommet to as many people as possible.  We hope and expect our mission of helping the “little guy” producers succeed will resonate with people.  It seems it already does.  We get dozens of unsolicited Grommet submissions and people are really engaged with learning the Grommet stories, day in and day out.

What is your favorite business book or website? Why?

I don’t read a lot of business books…I prefer to read about design, food, literature, and travel.  It’s actually more helpful to my business than standard business thinking.  But, I do love “The Opposable Mind” by Roger L. Martin.  He is pioneering the idea of “integrative thinking” in which seemingly opposing and disparate ideas can be combined to create really new and important experiences and products.

What is your favorite quote?

I can never find it when I try, but it is something like “Don’t ask, just explain later” by Dorothy Parker.  I’ve always found I am more successful when I just follow my instincts and take the risks that make sense to me.

Who is your business idol? Why?

Mike Rowe, of the Discovery Channel show “Dirty Jobs”.  I like the vision he has for helping people understand how the behind-the-scenes jobs like storm drain cleaning, or rice growing, or painting the Mackinaw Bridge work.  He understands his “brand” and expresses it consistently.

What advice would you give to a new mom entrepreneur?

Don’t plan for a small business.  Small businesses are just as much work as big ones.  So plan big.

How can we connect with you? (Email, Twitter, Facebook, website, etc.)

Twitter:  @julespieri

Website:  http://www.dailygrommet.com

Blog:  http://jules.dailygrommet.com/

Email:  jules@dailygrommet.com

If you enjoyed this article, get free updates by email.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jules Pieri August 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm

@Adrienne, Ros-ficklets, Michelle, Ellen…Sorry to go dark here and not answer you guys. I so appreciate your encouragement. It means a lot of me and I look forward to reading your comments on Grommets, if you feel so inspired to share when one catches your fancy, or you have a question. Just fire away….we have a live blog dedicated to each Grommet, every day.
.-= Jules Pieri´s last blog ..PANDORA Personalized (Free!) Internet Radio =-.

2 Jeanne Connon July 16, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Hey – a neighbor, that’s great! We’d love you to post about our submitting Grommet ideas. Give me a shout when you’re ready. Very excited to hear about ClipCleany! Take care,
Jeanne

3 Jeanne Connon July 15, 2009 at 3:17 am

Thanks for telling Jules’ story, Heather! Adrienne is right that we’ve seen some great submissions thanks to you … in fact I wanted to invite Ericka to drop by and submit the ClipCleany (which looks very cool) – and encourage anyone else who’s got a favorite product or great idea to do the same. It’s a pretty simple form and we’d love to hear from you: http://www.dailygrommet.com/pages/idea
Take care everyone!

4 Heather Allard July 15, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Hi Jeanne!
Nice to “meet” you–and you’re welcome for telling Jules’ story. I’m not to far from y’all in RI! :) Maybe sometime soon I could do a post about your submission process and the types of products you look for–I know my readers would LOVE that!

Thanks for inviting Ericka (ClipCleany is awesome, isn’t it?) and Mogul Mom readers!

5 Adrienne from TinyPlayground.com July 13, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Intriguing concept, Jules. I’d imagine you’ll see a nice increase in the number of submissions thanks to Heather’s readers!
Best of luck to you.

6 Heather Allard July 13, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Hi Adrienne,
Yep, I’m always trying to showcase great mom entrepreneurs as well as places where my readers can have their products featured. Like Daily Grommet and Mamaista. ;)

7 Erika Berry July 11, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Jules,
Very interestig for us little guys. I am on the amazing product development journey and I love it. I have put so much heart, soul sweat and money into making my beloved ClipCleany. I have a huge appreciation for industrial designers, what a creative and fun job. I have been working with a couple of really outstanding creative talents. It is so fun to watch a product grow and evolve and it is a group think effort. I get the best ideas and tips from listening to these people, and I am so small that I impliment a lot of their suggestions right on the spot! That’s what makes a product super smart and innovative. Checking out your site!

8 Ros-Ficklets.com July 11, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Love the the Daily Grommet business model… I’m signed up!

Also, Thank you Jules for supporting small businesses.

9 Michelle July 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I love her concept! I am headed over to her blog and website now to find out more.

10 Ellen Gillespie July 11, 2009 at 12:55 pm

This is a fascinating website and idea! Great job, Jules. I have signed up for the newsletter and can’t wait to see a new product everyday :)

11 Jules Pieri July 11, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Heather, Is it somehow lame or sad for me to be the first person to comment on your profile of……me? I just want to thank you for noticing Daily Grommet and asking me to chat. I love what you do. I am always happy to support other women pursuing their business dreams. (Other dreams too….)

12 Heather Allard July 11, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Not lame at all, Jules!! ;) Thanks for sharing your story with us!!