10 Spectacular WordPress Themes For Entrepreneurs (All Under $50)
In the spirit of full disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase something using one of my links. This helps cover the expense of running the site while keeping the content 100% free. Note that I only recommend products I believe in. Your support is appreciated!
Ever wonder how your favorite websites achieve their swoon-worthy layouts and seemingly endless functionality? Chances are, it’s with a theme. Lots of platforms use themes; Today we’re focusing on WordPress themes, what they are, and a peek at my favorite ones.
So, what’s a theme?
A¬†WordPress Theme¬†is a collection of files that work together to produce a graphical interface with an underlying unifying design for a weblog. These files are called template files. A¬†Theme¬†modifies the way the site is displayed, without modifying the underlying software.
More simply, a theme is a collection of code that magically brings beautifully responsive templates to life where you can house your website and blog. All you have to do is pick one you love, install it, and make it your own.
And now, on with the eye candy…
1 | Itsy
Meet Itsy, a modern, minimal, and oh-so pretty WordPress theme.
Things are clean and simple with this one. Using the Theme Customizer you can control layouts (sidebar right, no sidebar, sticky menu) and show and hide most of the elements of the theme. Choose from fonts, colors, and more to make it your own.
Want a lovely big homepage hero image? You‚Äôve got it. Want a grid of your sticky posts on your homepage? You‚Äôve got it. Want a cool and collected minimal design, with gorgeous share overlays, search overlays and a beautiful mobile experience?… then Itsy is your cup of tea.
As well as a widgetized sidebar, we have a header widget area and a footer widget area that adapt to the amount of widgets you have. For example, only using 1 widget, we‚Äôll make it 100% and centered ‚Äď perfect for a web banner.
- Show/hide back to top
- Show/hide related blog items
- Switch sidebar on/off
- Google Maps API v3 integration
- Switch sidebar to left or right
- Turn menu on/off in sidebar
- Control all font sizes
- Enhanced Author biographies
- Fully responsive design
- Built mobile first
- All templates are HTML5 compliant
- Child theme supported
- Full control of colours
- Show/hide plain text logo
- MeanThemes Social Widget built-in via MeanThemes Tools plugin
- MeanThemes ‚ÄúAbout You‚ÄĚ Widget built-in via MeanThemes Tools plugin
- Sharing on/off on posts
- Share via twitter including your username
- Change footer credit, logo text, logo alt all from Theme Customizer
- Control excerpt length on blog
- Auto excerpt on blog
- MeanThemes Tools plugin included
- Logo upload
- Retina logo upload
- Apple touch icon upload
- Favicon upload
- Contact 7 Form support and styling built-in
- Localisation support with provided .mo and .po files
- Custom Menu
- Featured image support
- Shortcodes for columns and buttons, toggles and tabs
- Shortcodes for social icons including: Twitter, App.net, Facebook, Linked In, Google+, Zerply, Vimeo, YouTube, Pinterest, Dribbble, Github, Instagram, Flickr, Behance, Mixcloud, Soundcloud, Good reads, RSS
- Shortcode for quotes including quote source and ratings
- Shortcode dropdown straight from the content editor
- Fully responsive (optimised for iPad and iPhone with retina graphics)
- Zilla likes support
- Extensive documentation
Bio page inspiration:
Display your favorites:
With lots of features and customization options, as well as a darling layout, you’re sure to fall in love with Itsy. It’s one of my favorites, and at only $25 it’s a steal.
2¬†| BOSS LADY
Sassy, classy, and a little smart-assy? Boss Lady is just the theme for you.
Created by Melanie Karlik, the¬†Boss Lady theme¬†is perfect for the energetic entrepreneur. She’s included lots of features to help you customize it to the layout and the look to perfectly suit¬†your vision, including 8 landing page templates and¬†a lead page template (with the option to upload your own background image).
Nine blog layouts to choose from:
- Customize Fonts and Colours
- Totally Responsive for Mobile
- SEO Friendly
- 1, 2, or 3 Column Layout
- Choose Different Layout for Category Pages
- Optional Sidebar
- Hide/Show Date, Categories, Tags, etc
- Homepage Template
- Page Templates (7 options)
- Landing Page Templates (8 options)
- Lead Page Template
- Blank Template
- Pick a Unique Banner Image for Every Page
- Custom Bio Box Widget Include
- Optional Fixed Nav
- Optional ‚ÄúFollow Sidebar‚Äú
- Announcement Bar
- Full Width Call-to-Action Top & Bottom Widget Areas
- Add a Call-to-Action the bottom of your Posts
- 1,2,3 or 4 Columns for Footer Widgets
Save money by skipping expensive landing page programs. This theme does it for you:
Boss Lady is an ideal choice for no-nonsense business owners who don’t have time to mess around creating templates, pages, and layouts from scratch. Simply choose the ready-made one you love, customize the fonts and colors, and¬†you’re off and running.
3 | Simply Pro
Simply Pro¬†is the perfect choice for those seeking a clean, crisp way to deliver their brand across the interwebs.¬†Devoid of distracting pomp and circumstance, this theme provides plenty of inviting white space for those that don’t get along with clutter and¬†noise.
Simply Pro¬†knows you don’t need a lot going on visually to create a truly beautiful brand. Classy and classic, this¬†Wordpress theme based on the Genesis Framework. Use this theme for your blog or website.
- Fully Responsive on Desktop, Tablet, and Mobile phones
- Optimized for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Three page layout options on every page
- Customized drop-down nav bar with unlimited space for your pages
- Integration with Simple Social Icons, a social media plugin
- Threaded comments
- Custom, FLOATING social media icons
- You can simply type in your blog name to match the styling of the Marble Theme
- Or, upload your own logo/header
- Fully responsive (mobile friendly!) on all mobile devices (passes Google’s test)
- Contact form that is styled to match the Simply Pro Theme
- Sidebar widgets are styled to match the Simply Pro Theme
- I walk you through adding your social media icons, about pic and text, etc!
- You can have advertisements and affiliate links in your sidebar as well
- Styled social media icons for your sidebar (bloglovin, email, facebook, instagram, pinterest, twitter, youtube, vimeo, linked in, google+, flickr, dribble, github, RSS, stumbleupon, and tumblr)
- Built-in styled slider
- Styled Instagram widget in the footer
- Sticky navigation bar
- Change ANY color you want with the built-in customizer
Changing design options is easy-peasy, even for those who aren’t particularly tech- savvy:
Put your Instagram on display in the footer:
Simply Pro is a modern theme following the design trends set by the top bloggers. In the spirit of simplicity, the designer has made everything¬†deliciously uncomplicated. Customizing is as easy as a few clicks and¬†this theme includes a PDF to walk you through the setup and installation process.
4 | INA
If you love a¬†clean look, but gotta have your pictures, you’ll love INA. This visual rich, photo stories theme allows you to showcase your photography or stock images on center stage.
- Easy-to-Use Powerful Theme Options Panel: customize layouts, logo, colors, fonts etc.
- One-click import of demo site
- Excellent Customer Support
- Responsive Design: desktop, tablet and mobile friendly
- 3 Header types
- WordPress¬†LIVE customizer
- 10 Blog Layouts:
- 2-1 Cols
- 2-3 Cols
- 2-4 Cols
- 1 Column
- 2 Columns
- 3 Columns
- 3-1 Columns
- 4 Columns
- 4-1 Columns
- Single post layout
- With sidebar
- Full Width
- Super fast loading and SEO optimized
- Author page
- Instagram feed
- Widgetized area in the footer with 3 columns
- 600+ Google Fonts
- Social media icons
- Child Theme included
- Translation Ready (.pot file included)
- Well Documented
Pictoral-y post inspiration:
Three gorgeous header styles to pick from:
With plenty of layout options and customizable features, INA is perfect for those who want to tell their¬†story with pictures. Whether you’re a photographer or just have a penchant for visuals, this theme is perfect for you.
Psst… Need images to pretty up the place? Check out this post for 25 free stock photo websites where you’ll find an abundance of imagery to bring your little corner of the world to life.
5 | PE COOKING
Calling all foodies! PE Cooking¬†is the ideal theme to share all of your delicious goodness with your visitors. Rich with tempting imagery options, your followers are sure to eat up whatever you’re serving.
- Glyphicon font icons
- PageSpeed high rate
- Custom code injection
- Social addthis sharing integrated
- 600+ fonts available
- 2 Custom slider widgets. a) PE Easy Slider – shows slider with images or video. b) PE Recent Posts – shows images with short description
- Fully widgetized
- Premium extensions included (Revolution Slider $18, Visual Composer $33)
- SEO optimized & clean code
- Unlimited colors
- Many home page versions – many combinations with sliders and blog layout
- Powerful admin panel¬†–¬†complex and easy way for submitting a recipe
- Wide range of recipe details – like category, cuisine, recipe type, ingredients, preparing time and skill level, scanning shopping list, rating and comments
- Frontend & backend submission – for personal blog or allowing visitors to submit recipes
- Advanced search included – many combinations to let visitors find a recipe accurately
- 6 blog views
- 5 Recipe views – standard, with: tabs, slider, movie, comments
- Many custom styles for revolution slider views
- Wide range of configurable settings at the theme backed – like colors or fonts
- 100% fully responsive – supports mobile devices
- Demo copy included. Quick & easy setup
- Awesome icons
- Built with Bootstrap 3
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Fast page loading
- Sticky menu
- Rich typography – shortcodes
- Sticky topbar
- Unlimited layouts
- SEO Ready by Yoast plugin
- Schema microdata
- Google maps integration
- WPML ready, tested by WPML team
Beautiful posts showcase your images, but leave room for descriptive text so readers don’t get¬†overwhelmed:
Adding recipes is a cakewalk:
Blog posts that beg to be read:
As a food blogger, you know one of the best ways to set yourself apart is with eye-catching¬†imagery. PE Cooking theme¬†offers not only a plethora of image layouts, but perfect spacing that doesn’t overwhelm or confuse visitors. I¬†get¬†hungry just looking at it.
Biscuit is decidedly clean, yet¬†elegant, and perfect for Food Bloggers, Designer, Photographer and Bloggers. Easy on the eyes, this sophisticated style is a great way to showcase your own brand of simple goodness.
Biscuit¬†is an amazing feminine responsive wordpress and ecommerce theme for minimalist style lovers. Visually rich, it still manages to maintain its simplicity. The well-organized layout makes navigation a no-brainer for your visitors.
- Dynamic Grid Layout for the Blog and the Archive Page
- Fully Responsive Design
- Google Webfonts Options
- Colors Options
- Useful Recipes Index Shortcodes
- Footer Area with tree columns
- About Widget and Social Icons ready to use
- Shortcodes: snippets ready to copy and paste in your posts and pages like columns, recipe, buttons and more…
- Woocommerce Integrated
- Meta Slider (Option for the Home Page)
- Recipe Card by Yumprint
- Translation-ready: you can easily translate it;
- Cross-Browser compatible; It works in all modern browsers (tested in Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, IE 9+, iOS and Android).
Customizing is a breeze:
Pretty, balanced post options:
Share your past posts and reader favorites in an eye catching portfolio grid:
For a simple way to share that still garners plenty of positive attention, look no further than¬†Biscuit.
7¬†| THE PASTEL BLOGSTER
For a soft, feminine touch, check out the The Pastel Blogster.¬†Subtle, calming hues allure visitors and encourage reading, browsing, and shopping.
Pretty up your posts with this layout as inspiration:
- Customize colors (Stick with pastels, or… don’t – you decide)
- Color coded categories
- Striking and modular lay-outs in no time (easy to use shortcodes)
- Responsive lay-out
- Ad widget in the bottom
- Social icons on any page with shortcodes
- Ad space at the bottom + a widget zone available for more
- Colored widget zone changes colour with every new post
- Order your¬†menu as you see fit
- Display your most recent post at the top
- The theme works best with maximum 6 pages and 10 categories
8 | Enamored
Enamored is simple, feminine WordPress theme¬†that’s got everything you need to breathe life into your brand. Scripty fonts offset the white space, making this a smart, sophisticated choice.
Fully responsive and highly customizable,¬†Enamored comes with 6 layout options, unlimited colors, Google fonts, and more. Best of all,¬†the¬†theme includes a built in theme customizer that allows you to make changes to your theme without touching any code.
- Fully responsive
- Optional full width blog home page slider
- Choose between full post or excerpt post content
- 6 layout options
- Footer widgets
- About widget
- Social media icons widget
- Woocommerce ready
- Works well with JetPack
- Translation ready
- Change the theme colors
- Choose from the large selection of Google fonts
- Upload your own logo
Or without sidebar:
Make it your own in a few clicks with the easy customization panel:
If you’re looking for refined beauty paired with simple to use options,¬†Enamored¬†is the way to go.
Bonus: This theme comes with access to the designer’s freebie vault where you’ll have access to¬†free media kit templates, pin it buttons, printables, and more.
9 | EXQUISITE
Dark and lovely, the aptly named Exquisite is a stunning e-commerce theme that manages to be classic, yet unique all at the same time. Build your store on this theme for a beautiful¬†storefront that won’t soon be forgotten.
A peek with a different style logo:
Comes complete with a fade-in effect on the homepage, a rotating testimonial section, portfolio page, change the damask background to another dark color, and more.
- Tutorials to setup your site just like the demo
- Genesis Framework
- Fully Mobile Responsive
- Large post area of 820px Wide
- One Sidebar that is 330px Wide
- Custom Homepage with Slider Area
- Featured Post Area on the Homepage
- Featured Products Area on the Homepage
- Fade in Effect on the Homepage
- Portfolio Page
- Choose Your Own Colors
- WooCommerce Ready
- Subscribe Box
- 2 Simple Drop Down Menu/Navigation Bars
- Matching ‚ÄúShare‚ÄĚ buttons at the end of each post
- 3 Footer Areas at the Bottom
- Bottom Bar for your Instagram Feed
- Matching Social Media Icons –¬†16 to choose from
- 3 Page Layout options
- Add your own logo – optional, theme will still work WITHOUT adding a logo
Black’s not your jam? Change colors easily (works best with dark colors):
For brands that know their voice and aren’t afraid to use it, make a statement before you even say a word with the Exquisite theme.
10 | Sara’s Fashion
Sara’s Fashion theme is a sassy little theme design with plenty of personality, and¬†typography-rich¬†buttons that practically beg to be clicked.
Pick your fonts and layouts with plenty of¬†simple to use customization options.
- Two custom landing page templates (move homepage boxes to left or right)
- Home page slider to showcase your best products
- Custom coded share icons under each product detail
- User-friendly layout
- 100% integrated with WooCommerce
- Responsive mobile and tablet ready template
- Upload your own custom header
- Easily change fonts/color
- Easily add your post signature
- Easily add Favicon
- Upload your own background image/pattern.
- Multiple page layouts
- Custom matching diamond shaped social media icons under posts
- Profile photo with circle
- Add any number of menu pages
- Add unlimited widgets
- Custom coded share icons under each post
- MailChimp subscriber box
- SEO optimized
Get the word out on your blog using the¬†streamlined layout:
Showcase your shop’s offerings with¬†the pretty grid layout:
Encourage sharing on individual listings with stay-put social media buttons:
That’s it! A roundup of my very favorite themes currently available. All that’s left for you to do is pick one and get that website or blog up and running.
Love the themes but are terrified at the thought of installing them? Not to worry. If the theme designer is not able to help with the tech side, WordPress offers a super simple tutorial right here.
Want more great resources?
How about more than 125 of them to help with your online business? Get our FREE 22 page guide, right here.
Latest posts by Melissa Bolton (see all)
- The Mogul Mom Chats with Marie Forleo About B-School (Plus How to Get Over $1,500 in Bonuses) - February 21, 2017
- How’d she do that? How these entrepreneurs made it HUGE online. - February 16, 2017
- How to Turn Browsers to Buyers + Inspire Immediate Action from Prospects - February 13, 2017