8 Ways To Increase Your Buck For The Bang

Last week, I introduced you to the concept of “Buck For The Bang” and invited you to download the nifty B4B Worksheet I created so you could discover your very own buck for the bang.

Now, I’m back with 8 ways to increase your buck for the bang so you’ll have more time to spend with your family and more money coming in.

1. Love The One You’re With

Instead of investing a ton of time and money chasing new clients, put all your current and previous clients on an email list and send them exclusive monthly newsletters with deals, specials, launches and promos.

Sell a physical product? Great! You’ll have two awesome lists – one for consumers and one for wholesalers.

Create this list easily by using my favorite email marketing service, MailChimp, which integrates with Paypal, e-Junkie, etsy, eBay, Eventbrite and more – once your customer purchases goods or services from you, MailChimp will automatically add them to your list.

Previous clients & buyers know you and trust  you – and are likely to buy from you again. If you don’t have a “buyers” list, you’re leaving a big chunk of change on the table.

2. Raise Your Rates

Did you set your rates 10 years ago? Maybe it’s time to raise ’em.

Don’t make it more difficult than it has to be – simply increase the price per hour or slightly decrease the time per hour.

Give current clients a “grace period” and you’ll be just fine. Learn more about raising your rates without losing your clients over at FreelanceSwitch.

3. Create An FAQ section

Find yourself answering the same customer service questions over and over again? Make life easier on yourself (and your customers) and save a ton of “workable time” by creating an FAQ section on your site.

Remember, a confused mind always says no – be sure your customer fully understands your products and services or they’ll bail before buying.

4. Set Daily Dollar Goals

Back when I was working for Estee Lauder, we had daily sales goals – and though it was stressful sometimes, it actually made it easier to sell.

Start each day with 1 or 2 clearly defined income-generating goals. If you’re having trouble prioritizing, follow Tim Ferriss’s advice and ask yourself, “If I only got this done today, would I be satisfied?”. And don’t waste time scrambling in the morning setting your goals – do it a week ahead or at least the night before.

5. Keep Office Hours

Schedule office hours and post them on your website and email signature. During your working hours, let the phone go to voice mail, close your email client and get the hell off Twitter.

If email and social media are parts of your business, that’s fine. But don’t fool yourself – you don’t need to answer emails the second they roll into your inbox or spend half your life on Twitter to be effective. Schedule email and social media time for one hour, once daily and stick to it.

6. Track Your Time

Steve Miller was right. Time keeps on slippin’, slippin’, slippin’ into the future.

Don’t let your day get away from you farting around on Facebook. Keep yourself on task with an online time tracker like Rescue TimeToggl or e.ggtimer.

7. Keep Yourself Honest

Once you’ve determined your workable hours and set a schedule, set your computer to turn on and shut off according to your schedule. You won’t be tempted to check email compulsively, you’ll stay on track, and save energy & money!

On a Mac, follow these simple steps:

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule

On a PC, choose one of these how-to posts:

eHow: Automatically Shut Off Computer

Lifehacker: Automatically Shut Down Computer At A Certain Time

8. Just Say No To Notifications

You’re a mom and you’ve probably read “If You Give A Pig A Pancake”. Well, you know what happens when you get an email from Twitter telling you that you have a new follower? You become the main character in “If You Send A Mom Entrepreneur A New Follower Notification”.

First, you open the email. Then, you’ll want to click on this new follower’s Twitter profile. You know, just to “see” who they are. Then, you’ll read through their tweets and probably want to delve further. So you’ll click on some of their links. Then, you’ll read 2 of their blog posts and all 4 pages of their bio.

And before you know it…an hour is GONE.

Turn off all Twitter and Facebook email notifications and save yourself a ton of workable time.

On Twitter, follow these steps:

Settings > Notices > New Follower Emails > Uncheck the “Email when someone starts following me” box

On Facebook, follow these steps:

Account > Account Settings > Notifications > Uncheck almost everything!

On my Facebook Notifications page, the only things I have checked are:

Sends me a message
Adds me as a friend
Posts on my wall
Comments on a story on my wall

That’s IT!

Please don’t worry about missing anything – you can check all your new Twitter followers and Facebook “stuff” when you log into Twitter and Facebook during your scheduled “Social Media” time.

More Money, More Time…

What are you going to do to increase your buck for the bang?

1. Kate

Yaware is a great time tracker. It estimates performance and helps to reduce distractions.

2. Matthew Needham @ Big Red Tomato Company

Some really great advice here (whether you’re a mom or a daddy!).

Tim Ferriss’ other great quote was to ask your self ‘am I adding value?”

3. Rhonda

This is absolutely a great list of ideas you’ve offered. I would say the first one is my favorite because your current subscribers or clients have already shown interest in what you have to offer. It’s cheaper to keep the customers you have than it is marketing to get new customers. So keep your current ones happy!

4. Tammie

Last week I challenged myself to only check Twitter when I didn’t have anything else to do. I said, what would happen if I didn’t keep up with every tweet. Of course I setup my profile to email me when someone sent me a DM. I think I checked it twice and you know what, I didn’t miss anything. Twitter is great and it does help the business, but not that much. After a week I don’t miss it and I’m getting a lot more done.

It’s true, Tammie – once you get past the initial “withdrawal”, you find that it’s absolutely *not* necessary to spend your life on social media.

And if it makes you feel any better, I receive DM notification emails, too. 😀

5. Katie @ SM Workshop

Great advice Heather! I always find myself “wondering” on the web…especially FB and Twitter, it’s such a distraction!

6. Charlotte

Thank you for this great post!
    I was searching for a good post on being efficient because today was one of those days…
    I liked it so much I put it up on our team’s fan page wall!
    you can see it here… http://www.facebook.com/etsyfrenchhandmade
    Thanks again!

Yep, I’m very familiar with “those days”. Lol. Thank YOU so much for sharing the post on FB! That’s so cool of you!

Heather 😀

7. April

VERY good advice!! My hubbs keeps talking about all of this, and Tim Ferris and Lifehacker….I guess it just took a woman’s touch to get it through my think skull. I ready to commit to all of this!! Thanks a billion!!

Women rule!! Glad this post resonated with you, April!

8. Gail

Great tips and tried and true! If you set no goals you’ll never make them! I have daily, weekly and monthly sales goals. I also have working hours and state them in my policies so I’m not expected to “create” items but do answer communications and begin creating again Monday.

Thanks!

Thanks, Gail! Glad you liked the tips. I agree with you – goals and clearly communicated “policies” are essential. 😀

9. Christine

Wow. Way to lay that all out there. I like your simple, descriptive and no nonsense approach. Like Tim, but from a mom’s perspective. I need that. I’ve been wishing for it actually.

I just read your Etsy post on differentiating your business, liked it, then headed over to your site and found this gem of a post.

Can’t wait to see what’s next. Thanks!

Thanks so much, Christine! I love the no-nonsense approach too. 😀

Thanks for stopping by! Look forward to getting to know you!

10. Stephanie

#5 is the one that I need to work on the most. It’s so easy to get distracted by Twitter and my ever-growing e-mail inbox.

Questions for you:
    1) Can you get to all of your e-mails in one hour per day?
    2) Do you do e-mails first and then Twitter? What about Facebook?

Thank you so much for sharing your advice.

11. Lily

Hi Heather,
    This is great advice. I need to focus more and get distracted less! 🙂 I clicked the link to MailChimp and got started with that! I hope you get the referral for it! Is it proper etiquette to send a MailChimp newsletter with specials to customers who have ordered before but did not sign up for our newsletter (because our old site didn’t offer that check box)? Or should we call all our stores first and ask permission to send them our newsletter?

Thanks so much, Lily! I’m so glad you liked the article. And thanks for signing up with MailChimp. 😀

Hmmm…well, I might send the newsletter to buyers and stores with a special “Welcome To The Padalily Newsletter” message telling them what they can expect – special offers, discounts, advance notice, etc. And then tell them that if they’d rather not receive deals & steals, they can unsubscribe. Silly fools. LOL.

Then, going forward, have your sign up box posted prominently on your site and/or let buyers/stores know that when they purchase, they’ll be automatically added to your list. 😀

Hope this helps!

12. Jordan Moore

I love love love the “If You Give a Pig a Pancake” reference! This is exactly how I end up wasting hours some days. I think this advice will stick with me, thank you!

Me, too, Jordan. Sometimes an hour passes and I think to myself, “What was I doing online anyway?” LOL. 😀

You’re welcome – enjoy!

13. Alison Golden

Heather,

This was exceptionally useful. I am definitely going to shut down my computer and a particular time and turn off those notifications. Thanks for the instructions!

Alison!
      I’m so happy it was helpful! Having my computer turn off automatically has really helped me a ton. 😀