Q & A Monday: Time Tracking

Mogul Mom reader Genevieve Carter asks,

“What is the best time tracking software/application that you know of? I’m an interior designer with multiple clients and would love to know the best way to track time online so I can bill appropriately.”

That’s a great question, Genevieve – and one that I’m sure many would like the answer to. When you’re a service provider who works with clients on an hourly basis, it’s important to keep a precise record of the time you’ve spent working so you can accurately bill your client.

I asked around my social networks and my savvy service provider friends had loads of time-tracking tips for you:

On Twitter:

@jeffSARRIS I use Harvest for time tracking. All for the simple dashboard widget (Mac). 🙂

@YanomoApp Have a look at www.yanomo.com. Sounds like we have what you are looking for. Good luck on your search and have a great weekend.

@halosecretarial My best time tracking method so far: Chrometa. Keeps track of everything so I bill properly!

@accountingSPOT I use HiTask for time tracking. LOVE it!!!

@terreece I like Freshbooks. Great online & smartphone app so I can bill on the go.

On Facebook:

Dawn Martinello wrote, “We use MyIntervals over at Monday Morning VA. It’s a cheap, all in one solution!”

Brendan Ebel Kruse posted, “Freshbooks.com. Easy. Online. Free.”

Stephanie Lee, “I use www.myhours.com. It’s also free (and easy), and it apparently marries well with Freshbooks.”

As you can see, Genevieve, there are loads of different time-tracking websites, software and apps out there. Here’s a recap of the favorites mentioned, as well as a few key features for each:

Harvest

• Simple time tracking
  • Fast online invoicing
  • Powerful reports

Yanomo

• Calendar-based time and task tracking
  • Instant overview of projects, budgets and deadlines
  • Personal dashboard for every team member

Chrometa

• Tracks time without notes or timers
  • Logs all your computer activity
  • Records and breaks down your time by application, e-mail, Web page, and document.

HiTask

• Clear and easy interface
  • Mobile access through iPhone and iPad apps or by using HiTask’s mobile version
  • Powerful reporting

Freshbooks

• Track time quickly and easily
  • Invoice clients
  • iPhone app

MyIntervals

• Easy to implement, no software to install
  • Time tracking and task management
  • Powerful reporting

MyHours

• Track time and expenses
  • Web-based time tracking

Let us know which time-tracker you choose and how it works for you!

Photo by ItalianPop

1. Kelly

Hi Heather –

I like Hours Tracking (http://hourstracking.com). It was developed by a company I happen to freelance for, and I’ve become a true devotee. It’s easy to use, and the price is right for a freelancer at just $1/month.

2. Anna

My favorite app for now is Timetrack – http://www.timetrack.eu. It’s also a desktop tool with nice, simple layout and a variety of reporting options. Mobile version is also available 🙂

3. Julia

Hey Heather,

I liked how you let general public fill you in – that’s a cool technique.

I think that DeskTime (http://desktime.com) deserves a mention, unobtrusive time tracking in the background, and gives you nice visual reports 🙂

4. Meg

I use Paymo as well. Its great – not quite as fancy as Freshbooks, but much less expensive and they are adding new features fairly regularly.

Their Paymo Plus tool is a great way to record what you have done during the day (especially if you are prone to forgetting to turn off your timer!!).

5. Michael D.

Hi Heather,

The one I’ve been using for almost 6 months now is called Paymo ( http://www.paymo.biz/) I especially like their Plus tool that records every little tab you’ve opened so at the end of the day you know precisely what you did.

6. emma dcosta

Hey Heather,

I think you missed another awesome tool which is just so easy to use and hassle free cloud based solution. Replicon’s time tracking – http://www.replicon.com/time-tracking-software product suite is indeed worth to check out.

7. Paul King

Hey Heather,

Here’s one that looks a bit different from the others, but will certainly help you track your time and maximize your client billing.

time tracking for freelancers

Paul

Hey thanks for sharing, Paul! I think 1 Day Later looks awesome! 🙂

8. Heidi

Hi Heather,

There is a neat little desktop tool called Fanurio http://www.fanuriotimetracking.com . I love it! You can try it for free too. You can just click to start, pause it, etc and you can do nifty reports. I use it to track the time I spend on client projects.

Even though I only bill hourly for consulting projects, it helps me to see how much time I’m spending to make sure my rates are in line. With Fanurio you can customize invoice templates using your own layouts and export them to HTML or PDF.

Ooh, Heidi…Fanurio *does* look awesome! I’m going to give it a try!! 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

9. Jenna

As a fellow Momtrepreneur, I can’t say enough about Chrometa!! I recently sang its praises on my blog, and have EVEN MORE to sing about this month …. because they’ve just released a NEW web app which tracks your activity across different computers/devices and integrates them onto one time tracking summary. Talk about a time-saver!! As a lawyer, I jump from device to device to device … at work, at home, on the go … all day long! I never miss a minute. 🙂

Hey Jenna,

I’m dying to try Chrometa – it looks SO intuitive! But the Mac version hasn’t come out.

Waiting, waiting, waiting. LOL.

• Jenna

It’s your lucky day Heather, I’m a Chrometa Beta-tester and I have access to the first release of Beta testing on the Mac version … but I don’t have a Mac …. so put your name on the list here to get access to my copy of the current Mac version:

For everyone else: I received a FREE Beta version of Chrometa’s web app to share with my law blog readers. But I’m happy to share. To try it go to link: http://app.chrometa.com/ and use my Moheyer Law Group invitation code DX32RC into the box at the top of the page.

Enjoy!
        ~ Jenna Moheyer

Whoa! Very cool of you, Jenna! Thanks so much for your (two) generous offers! 🙂

Cheers!

10. Whitney

Journyx Timesheet is definitely heads and tails above the rest. I’m pretty sure it’s a free download for small businesses, too. http://www.journyx.com

11. Nikole Gipps

For all of you Mac users like me, iBiz is a nice piece of software … and I don’t have to be online to use it.

Thanks, Nikole! Will check it out!