4 Simple Steps To Get Things Done

If you’re like me, you’ve created lots of to-do lists for yourself. Yet, you feel like you never have enough time to get it all done.

Come closer, I have a secret I want to share.

You do have enough time to get everything done.

You just need to decide what’s important to you and then use your available time to get it done

Here’s how:

Let your values and priorities drive how you choose to spend your time.

Sure you’d love to help out at your daughter’s school, but does heading up the Fundraising Committee really fit with your core values and existing commitments to your family and your business? Find a simpler way to participate that requires less commitment and time.

Determine your “high-payoff actions” each day and do them first.

To-do lists get long and cluttered. Which items on that list can you do that will give you the most bang for your buck or buck for your bang?

Establish a routine to maximize your time.

Only check email, Twitter and Facebook at 11am, 4pm and 9pm each day. Make a meal plan for the week on Sundays and only shop for groceries on Mondays, etc. Set office hours and only work during those times.

Figure out what you can automate and delegate at home and in business.

Create a package or a plan for handling prospect inquiries so you aren’t creating a new proposal each time someone asks for a quote. Try online banking, family scheduling and even online grocery-delivery.

The bottom line is that mom entrepreneurs get the same 24 hours a day everyone else does.

With priorities, planning, a routine, automation and delegation, you’ll get the important stuff done.

Are you happy with what you accomplish most of the time, or are you constantly feeling stressed out and overwhelmed? Tell us in the comments.

1. Jenna @ BabyGiftStation.com

Sometimes I feel like I have Soooo much to do, I dont even know where to start. But prioritizing definitely has made me more efficient and has helped me complete more important projects. I’ve also noticed the work I procrastinate about usually ends up a waste of time in the end. I always say, if it’s HOT, you’ll most likely get it done quickly. However, if any part of you feels like it’s a waste of time or your instincts tell you it might not be a good idea, you should always listen.

2. Mandy

Great post – thank you. My meal plans definitely help me a lot – it ensures that we eat healthily and makes my life so much easier arriving home at the end of the day – the household remains calm and orderly ….. unlike last week when I never made the time to plan my meals and all chaos ensued – definitely a lesson for me!! My bread and milk are delivered twice a week and this cuts out running to the shop for these necessary items after work during the week. Love your site. Mandy

Thanks so much, Mandy – so glad you enjoyed the post (and the site!). 🙂

3. Prerna

Excellent post, Lara and great tips. As someone who has been using these tips for a long time now, I can vouch for the fact that they totally work! Another thing that’s really worked for me is letting go off my need to do everything and instead, accept outsourcing and delegating.. Tough but terrific:-)

4. Rachel Blaufeld

hi Lara! fancy meeting you here on this great site!
    Fab post.
    I am a big list maker, and also have been striving to set times for email/twitter/fb. Setting aside chunks of time has made my day easier to tackle.
    Thanks as always – Rachel

• Lara Galloway

Hey there, Rachel!

Gotta love Heather and The Mogul Mom. So much good stuff to learn here!

Glad you enjoyed the post. I think that moms especially have to learn to “chunk” their time to be more efficient. Some days I have to figure out how to fit everything into 15-minute increments. Other days I have the luxury of two whole hours to focus on one thing. Rare.

5. HobokenMommy

These tips were very practical and efficient. I never plan my menu for the week and I always end up going to the grocery store 2x’s. I also overspend on foods I don’t end up using b/c I thought I’d make something. This would save us money by overlapping ingredients. Also good call about the email – with my iPhone I check 10x’s a day. Big time waster. I will start using these tips!

• Lara Galloway

Hey Hoboken-Glad you find the tips helpful. I am not a rigid routine kinda girl since I really like spontaneity. However, now that I have kids and run a business, I have found that I get so much more done with much less stress by having a routine that I follow more or less on a weekly basis. The meal planning is a huge help. There’s nothing I hate more than heading into the Witching Hour tired, frustrated and with no clue what to make for dinner!

6. Lara Galloway

Heather–Thanks so much for letting me hang out in your awesome TMM space! You keep some mighty fine company.

Monica–I used to joke about how my to-do lists had to-do lists…And although I was good at always adding to my lists, I wasn’t very good at getting things done. Now I know if I get my high-payoff actions done first that the rest of the stuff is gravy.

Sara–Sounds like you are naturally taking care of your top priorities, so you’re not experiencing that sense of overwhelm and resentment that happens when we’re busy all the time, but not honoring our core values and priorities. And I love how you’re able to accept and appreciate where you are right now and what you’re able to do right now. Big stuff.

You’re welcome, Lara! Thank YOU for such a great post.

And you’re right – I have the BEST readers in the world. 🙂

7. Sara

I totally agree with your to-do list thoughts here, Heather!

I tend to write a to-do for the week, rather than daily. Since I work a full-time job, I don’t have the luxury of waking up each morning and writing a to-do for the day. What i’ve noticed is that the stuff that makes me feel the most accomplished and happy about getting done, gets done.

What I’ve learned is that until I’m doing my passion full-time, I am happy with what I am getting done because it is still a lot of work, more than most people do in a day.

8. Monica Strobel

Heather– I’m always overloaded with to-do lists! I will now be prioritizing by “high pay-off items.” Thanks to The Mogul Mom and Lara Galloway for these tip!s

• Lara Galloway

Monica–I hope you get out from under those heavy to-do lists! I want to share a great new tool for those who (like me) love to make lists of the things they need to do, but get overwhelmed when the lists get long and unorganized. Check out http://www.workflowy.com. Watch the video to get a feel for how to use it. It is BRILLIANT!

Sara–I love your attitude. You have to set some goals that are actually achievable. If you are clear on your priorities and make sure you do those first, you’ll feel good. It’s when we are super busy on things that aren’t our top priorities or don’t reflect our values that we feel bad. Good luck with following your passion!