Why are you using social media?
Hint: I will not accept the answer “sell more of my stuff.”
When you think about the return on investment you’re trying to achieve with social media, you’re in effect measuring energy against energy. There’s the energy that it takes for you to interact with Twitter, Facebook, your blog, and any other platform you’re using. And then there’s the energy that comes back to you: the spread of your ideas, new relationships, strong customer relations, cultural growth.
When the equation is energy to energy, you can’t think in terms of dollars & cents or units sold.
Instead, channel the underlying purpose of your business. Are you looking to make women feel more beautiful? Do you want to make kids more creative? Maybe you’re creating a culture of ecological advocacy or financial literacy? Just what is it that drives your business?
That is what needs to inform your daily social media time, the relationships that you’re building, and the energy you put into growing your influence. That’s how you create a social media presence that’s not just “present” but infectious.
Once you’ve determined your why, start harnessing it!
- Share links that support your mission. Remember: it’s not just about you & your product – it’s about the big picture!
- Ask questions that get people thinking. Encourage your followers to dialogue with you about their own ideas and concerns around your mission.
- Offer teaching & insight that establishes you as a leader. Retweeting, sharing, and pimping your brand is easy – dig deeper to find out what you truly have to offer those who are truly following you.
Why am I using social media? you might ask.
Because I’m building the New Economy with you at the center, training & equipping a fresh generation of entrepreneurs driven by passion but keen on profit. I think you’ll find my social media use supports that!
When your mission, your “why,” is clear – selling more stuff comes naturally.
So, why are you using social media?
Latest posts by Tara Gentile (see all)
- How to Create the Ripple Effects that Will Increase Business Growth - January 30, 2013
- Fight Website Laziness: How to Make Your Website Work Harder - August 14, 2012
- When a Side Business Just Isn’t Enough - June 17, 2012