Grow Your Business In 5 Fun Steps

1.Make a list of ten clients or customers you adored working with in the past year.

Perhaps they were fabulous to work with, gave you amazing feedback, or spent lots of money and raved about you to their friends.

Then, call each one of them.

Check in to see how they’re doing, ask if they have any questions, need help with anything or how they are enjoying their purchase. No selling, just chatting.

The benefit:

• You stay on their radar
  • They are reminded of how much they love your thing (wait, that sounded funny – but you know what I mean)
  • You just jogged their memory if they have been meaning to call you
  • You get free helpful feedback from your right people about other needs you can meet or problems you can solve

2.  Make a list of five businesses that are complimentary to yours.

You know, businesses that offer a complimentary service to your product, or products that match well to the ones you sell, or target the same group of ideal customers that you are.

Next, contact at least two of them.

Partner up by trading banner space, writing guest posts for each other’s blogs, doing reviews of each other’s products, creating packages by combining products or services, or by featuring each other in your newsletters.

The benefit:

• Increasing your fan base
  • Solving more problems for your ideal customers
  • Finding low cost, win-win ways to promote both of your businesses

3.  Make a list of five business owners you admire, follow or look up to.

Perhaps they are doing things with their business that you have only dreamed of, or they inspire you in some way, or they are proving themselves to be experts in their niche.

Email one of them.

Introduce yourself, tell them the reasons why you admire them and love their work, let them know how much you learn from them just by following their progress. Be genuine, sincere and specific.

The benefit:

• You are building relationships with other business owners
  • You may find yourself a great mentor
  • The more people you connect with, the more opportunities come your way
  • You get to learn new things from folks with more experience than you

4.  Find one person just starting out in your niche.

Maybe they’ve already contacted you to say hello or have commented on your blog, or perhaps you have noticed them in social media or around town.

Email them.

Introduce yourself and tell them one reason you like what they have to offer. Be sincere. Ask them how things are going, invite them for a coffee (or a phone call) to chat some time, or let them know about something going on they might be interested in.

The benefit:

• Being a mentor to others is a great way to learn and grow your own business
  • Karma – putting something good out there often comes back to you ten fold
  • “Just starting out” businesses may refer clients to you when they can’t fill the need

5.  For two weeks take a complete break from your niche and target market.

Instead, spend your break following other businesses or blogs that are completely new to you in fields that you normally don’t pay attention to. Read poetry, flip through a magazine, visit a museum and eat at a new restaurant.

Jot down all of the ideas that catch your attention and then find ways to apply those ideas to your business, no matter how bizarre it might seem at first. Be creative and think outside the box.

The benefit:

• You find new sources of inspiration
  • You won’t be doing the same old things that your competitors are doing
  • Your business will stand out in your niche

Which strategy will you try this week? Share with us in the comments.

{Top Image Credit}

Karen Gunton

Karen Gunton is a blogger, teacher, and creative designer. her passions are helping women in biz get unstuck and brainstorming awesome ideas for little businesses. she developed the online workshop “Visual Marketing DIY” to teach people how to easily create their own images for marketing their business in a way that will stand out from the crowd.

1. Sarah

Great article Karen and great tips for the New Year too! Off to tweet this!

2. Anita Scott

These are all great ideas, I will definitely connect with 2 other complimentary business, such a great way to help eachother.. Also looking beyond my own niche is such a great way to get ideas and inspiration

Thankyou for a great post

3. work from home jobs

Just follow these simple steps and im sure it will make a difference. ” To become rich ask the rich”

4. Salinda

Wow! Great info. Thanks for sharing. So many times I read “grow your business” articles only to find that most tips are way out of my league. But—I can do all these! Whoo Hoo!

The first suggestion struck a real chord with me. I can only help a customer for 2-3 years (I sell baby boy clothes), so I treasure my customers while I have them. I’ve been including thank you notes and coupon codes in orders, but recently I’ve thought about emailing a few out of the blue just to see how they were doing. I was afraid it would be too pushy. Now, I think I will.

Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Jane Hill

Great tips, as always, Karen! There’s a few here I already do, but some great new ideas as well. I have just returned from a 2 week break enforced by the school holidays, but boy was I on fire yesterday! 🙂
    Jane x

6. Tracy

The 5th tip was best of all. So many of my ideas come from other areas. I remember the inspiration for a girls special occasion dress that came from a tea cup.

7. Pincurl Girl

Hi Karen,

This post needs printing out! There are so many great ideas and all of them have such genuine benefits. My brain is spinning, thinking about who I need to contact.
    Thanks so much,
    Jen aka Pincurl Girl

8. Iris Mishly

This post really did it to me, thank you for sharing it,It reminded me some important things in running a business and what’s around it 🙂

thank you!
    Iris.

9. Sandy

Great tips Karen,

So often we get so caught up in looking out for number one (ourselves) that we forget about the business and spiritual benefits of giving back to someone else. I love how you have detailed your list of Things To Do and then add the benefits of why we, as business people, should do each one! I have experienced great benefits, personally, from learning from others in my field (yes, I guess they are competitors, but they are also potential friends!), and for sharing with those who I can mentor as well.

Thanks for the post and reminder that we ALL need to hear and practice!!

Sandy Dell (GiftRepSandy)

Sandy – you’re so right. So often we get caught up in the “what’s in it for me?” mentality. Karen’s tips help us focus on the “others” involved. 🙂

10. Dale

Thank you for the suggestions, really good ideas here. thanks Dale

11. Desiree' Frazier

I love these tips! I’m just getting started on a new SOI business model and these are very important steps to remember! The key is keeping your current and past clients just as happy as you hope to make your future clients 🙂

12. Kemya Scott (@MissKemya) (@MissKemya)

Start this today! Grow Your Business In 5 Fun Steps – http://bit.ly/qeRfHv via @HeathALL

13. Nicole M

Perfect article! Can’t wait to try these ideas this week as July comes to an end. Thank you!

• karen gunton

you are very welcome! i am glad you found something here to inspire =)

14. Fred @ SoloBizCoach.com

Great tips Karen. I love reading posts that give me ideas for actions to take. Theory is nice, but action makes things happen.

• karen gunton

thanks fred! i agree, sometimes we just need some ideas of something we can DO right now. a little kick in the pants so to speak =)