C’mon, be honest. Did you say that after reading Charlie’s post?
Well, stop right there, mama… no buts allowed. Charlie asked you if you’re getting the best of you.
He didn’t ask you to neglect your kids or shut down your business or stop loving your husband.
Nope, he just asked you to work a bit harder at giving yourself the best of you. And luckily, that’s something you can take babysteps towards, one self-nurturing step at a time.
Here are 25 Simple Ways to Nurture Yourself:
1. Turn off the instant text and email notification on your phone. You don’t need to ping and ding yourself to death every day.
2. Wake up 30 minutes earlier each day, before everyone else… and savor every minute.
3. Get your coffee ready tonight so it’s ready when you wake up 30 minutes early tomorrow. 😉
4. Meditate for 5 minutes.
5. Listen to Pandora Spa Radio while you work. Can I get an ahhhhhhhh…. ?
6. Unsubscribe from any store newsletters, blogs or group deals you don’t find valuable anymore.
7. Create your own life soundtrack in iTunes.
8. Take a mid-morning chair yoga break
9. Buy your favorite food, lock yourself in the bathroom, and eat it in peace.
10. Don’t check email until you are dressed and fed, and your kids are dressed, fed + at school (or happily + educationally occupied).
11. Give yourself a dry brushing. It feels better than it sounds.
12. Follow it up with a leisurely bath or shower.
13. Reteach yourself your loveliness. This is one of my all-time favorite poems. I first read it in O Magazine shortly after my first daughter Hope was born and about six months later, had the amazing experience of hearing Galway Kinnell read it in person. I sobbed and sobbed – as a mother, it just hit me so hard – we forget how lovely we are. Please, reteach yourself. 🙂
14. Review your inbox. Delete any messages that you have no intention of replying to. Now.
15. Write down the top 10 things you love about you. Now mail it to yourself.
16. Drink a green smoothie. Download my recipe here.
17. Jot down on paper every negative thought about yourself. Now tear it up, put the pieces in a plastic bag and throw it out.
19. Create a “down days” folder filled with love letters, nice emails, customer testimonials, blog comments and social media shout outs. Bust it out when you’re feeling blue and remember you are loved.
20. Chart your monthly hormonal wax and wane. Take advantage of the highs and be extra kind to yourself during the lows.
21. Eat chocolate every day this week. Or whatever decadent treat you indulge in only occasionally.
22. Open your heart. (And your wallet if you can.)
23. Laugh your head off.
24. Adopt a five sentence policy and stick to it.
25. _________________________ (Fill in the blank below in the comments.)