How does a mogul mom go about seeking inner peace every day? Here, some om-how from moms who meditate:
- Get used to the sounds around you: You’ve found a quiet place to sit and meditate. You settle in, close your eyes and immediately notice sounds coming from everywhere–creaking, bangs, and taps. Take time to sit quietly and just absorb the normal sounds around you; you’ll be less jumpy once you acclimate.
- Get up early: Meditation requires personal time. This means time free from little people. Many of us mediating moms have to get up a little early. You’ll have the house to yourself and uninterrupted ‘me’ time.
- Breathe with intention: Focusing on your breathing is a great way to train the mind to just shut off. Take a deep breath in through your nose. Really fill your lungs. Then release your breath, slow and steady through your mouth. Simply let your mind flow to the in and out of breath coming in and going out.
- Focus: Oh, focus. How you mock us! Meditation focus means to pay attention to your here and now. If your mind strays to a million thoughts, try counting your breaths. Or, use Mala beads. You can roll one bead between your fingers, or count them as you breathe. Listening to guided music or voice-guided meditation sessions can also help keep your brain in the ‘here and now.’
- Walk: Hannah Marcotti says, “If stillness isn’t greeting you with ease, take a meditation walk, a walk in silence. You may choose to repeat a mantra as you walk or simply stay quiet while moving your body.”
Our best tip? Keep trying! Like anything else, meditation takes practice.
Have you found your om? Share with us!