10 Multiple Income Streams You Can Create

**This post was updated in September, 2016**

I remember the first time I heard about “multiple income streams“. It was back in 2005 after I had launched my first business.

I had set up shop on my website and planned to sell my products from there. My best friend said, “Are you going to sell them in gift shops and boutiques, you know, at wholesale?”.

Honestly, I had never heard of wholesaling before. I didn’t even know it was an option.

I thought about it, researched it a bit and decided that selling my products at both retail and wholesale would be an awesome way to create two streams of income. Ka-ching.

Having more than one stream of income not only increases your profit faster, it also increases your security.

Because when you have multiple streams of income, you don’t have to panic when business is slow or work from a big client dries up or you just need some extra cash.

And the best part about multiple streams of income? Every business owner can create them, whether you’re a blogger, product seller or service provider.

Here are 10 streams of income you can create:

1. Wholesale your product

If you only sell your product at retail, consider branching out into the world of wholesaling. Wholesaling is the sale of your goods, usually in large quantity at lower prices, to a retailer for resale purposes.

To learn more about wholesaling and how to do it, check out: Get Retail Ready and The Reseller Toolkit: A Guide to Boutique Wholesaling.

2. Retail your product

Do you currently only sell your product at wholesale? Then consider selling it at retail. You can open a shop on Shopify. This post walks you through how to get started in 15 minutes. Or, you can just as easily sell on sites like Amazon, eBay, and Etsy.

3. Create an affiliate program for your product

You can reach more customers and add a nice (passive!) income stream by recruiting affiliates to sell your product for you. The Case For Affiliate Marketing is a post I wrote to help show you how to do this.

Affiliate programs can be created for physical products (like blankets, blenders, or blazers) or digital products (like e-books, audio files or video tutorials) using sites like SendOwl or Share-A-Sale. You can also set up an affiliate system right on your WordPress site using a program like Affiliate Royale.

4. Write an e-book

Do you have knowledge, information or experience in a particular area that you could share with others? Then write an e-book and sell it. As an example, you can find ours right here.

5. Offer consulting

Share your knowledge, experience and information by consulting with people one-on-one. For example, if you’re a successful graphic designer, you can teach new designers how to set up their website, price their packages, buy the software, bill clients, create a portfolio, etc.

6. Teach a class

Like consulting, teaching a class allows you to share your knowledge, experience and information with others, but on a larger scale. You can teach classes locally or offer them online. If you’re not sure how to get started, check out WebinarAlly to help you get a webinar up and running on any WordPress site in 5 minutes or less. And, if you’ve been putting off launching because of the tech stuff, check out the videos at Launch & Profit.

7. Speak

Are you great on stage? Then launch a speaking career and another stream of income. You can speak at conferences, trade shows, and sales meetings and earn money doing it. Nervous about getting started? This article tells you everything you need to know and includes a free worksheet to help you keep it all together.

8. Become an affiliate

If you have a blog or website, you can join affiliate programs and set up affiliate links to different products and services on the web. When someone signs up through your affiliate link, you get a small cut of their advertising revenue. That can add up if you get a lot of affiliate sales, and you don’t have to do any of the work to produce physical and digital products. Our absolute FAVORITE affiliate marketing program is through Ultimate Bundles. Read why and jump on board, here.

You can join our affiliate program, right here!

9. Sell newsletter subscriptions

Again, if you have knowledge, experience or information to share, you can profit from it by writing a newsletter and charging a subscription fee for it. Once you build up your subscribers, you can make a nice chunk of change from it. For third party email providers, we recommend Mailerlite.

10. Sell advertising space

Do you have great traffic on your website or blog? Have tons of newsletter readers or podcast listeners? Then sell advertising. Learn more about selling advertising in Anna Viele’s awesome free ebook.

If selling ads seems overwhelming, you can grab a plugin to help you every step of the way. We use OIO Publisher because it’s free, easy, and it does it all.

So, what income streams are you going to add to your business? Tell us in the comments.

ONE MORE POST ON PASSIVE INCOME:
Profitable Passive Income Made Simple
and… if you’re a photographer, check out the newly released Peripheral Vision. Loaded with resources and solid proven ways to pad your pockets with very little effort from you.

1. Mark Lee

Well, I stumbled across your blog post here just as I am getting into multiple revenue streams such as:

Selling my photography
    Blog writing (various blogs, using affiliates)
    Selling an eBook

And I am also looking into options for selling a physical product with my partner, whether we do it solely online, open a retail outlet, wholesale it or offer a “shop-at-home” service where we go to them.

Its all about time available and making the most of it. Ideally a good source of income would be from the services that run while we are not working. Making money while sleeping!

I’m going to check out the rest of your blogs and see what other interesting articles you write! Thanks!

2. pemmy64

Thanks for the information. I was in search of multi income streaming ideas and now I have a few more useful leads! Thank you for sharing! XXO

3. WAHMJessica

This is what I am trying to do. I’m trying to build up my website so that I can eventually sell ad space on it and I’ve been doing a little bit of affiliate work too.

4. Neil Keleher

Hi Heather, thanks for all those great suggestions. Still processing it all.

5. CAM

I don’t stock inventory. I don’t host parties. I’ve done it all, which includes selling candles, vacations, makeup and weight loss products but they’ve never allowed me to make the money that I do now. I don’t even have to recruit people. I DO help people make money their very first day. I also help people build a full-time income from home doing part-time work. Plus, it doesn’t even cost anything to get started! http://www.FreeBigCash.com

6. AmandaEvans

Awesome post! Great ideas some I knew others, I had not thought of before! Thanks for the great info 🙂

7. Liz

Hey Heather,

Security is a big deal when running your own business, so monetizing as much as you possibly can is going to help with that.

These are all certainly monetization methods that include something for everyone. In fact I use several of them myself 🙂

8. Crystal

I love teaching multiple income streams to small business owners and start-ups. I was able to stay at home with my kids and run my business after I discovered how to create more income streams.. It change my life…I guess now you could say I’m a little obsessed with showing others how to do it! 🙂

• Angela Woods

Hello Crystal. I see your post and me being a new start as a stay at home mom I could really use some of your tips please- thank you.

• Melissa Bolton

Hi Angela- What sort of guidance were you looking for? Do you have a business started? Thinking of launching? Or still deciding what your next steps are?

9. Gary

Thanks so much for all the tips! I have a lot of websites that i have been looking to make money with, most of the time i am choosing a highly competetive niche like SEO or Hosting etc, thats what I do for a living. Using your tips though I will go down the route of CPA, I am already with CB and Amazon.

I tried Ebay associates, they keep declining for some weird reason.

Thanks again.

10. Pam Sweeney

Love all of your tips. I am a jewelry designer and I am looking for sales rep’s in my industry. Do you have any suggestions of where to find some?
    Thanks

11. Tiffany

Some great ideas here, thank you! I am interested in setting up an affiliate program for the products we sell but after looking at ShareASale, I found the set up fee to be $550 which is significantly higher than my small business can commit to for trying out affiliate marketing. Do you know of other programs that have a lower fee structure?

Hey Tiffany! Have you tried Commission Junction? I’m not sure what their fees are but it’s another option worth checking out.

• Heather | Mom 4 Life

I looked into Commission Junction pretty closely a few years ago and the fees were more than I could swallow. it seems to be set up for the very “big” guys. However, it is possible they have modified their structure sense then.

12. Sherry

You have some really good info on your site. I have been struggling at this for years now but am not giving up on my dream. I currently sell on Etsy and Ebay…still really trying to find my niche. What I currently have, is good for gifts but seems not as much for repeat customers and so I did well at xmas…and now nothing. And before christmas nothing..especially on Etsy. So now I think Im moving onto a new product AGAIN. I should be blogging about this. I mean my experiences and the things I come up with…entertaining!
    So I am gonna utilize your info as soon as I get my niche! 🙁

13. erinmgiles

Thanks so much Heather, such a great post, you got me thinking:)!!

14. Angela Keller

I am already wholesaling and retailing which is a great combination and has kept my business going. Because my products are handmade, I think something like an affiliate program would be difficult. But I have thought of teaching a class. Thanks for the ideas.

15. kiran chikkala

Thanks for giving this great information. It’s really useful.

16. Shelly

Loved the info in this post! Thank you so much for all these great ideas. I’m already doing some of them, but you’ve really planted some seeds in my mind. I appreciate you!

17. Faye Counts

Thank you for the timely advice. I’m jumping into the affiliate arena (hopefully) this month. I just needed a nudge.

18. YUMMommy

I’ve added ad space, became an affiliate and done sponsored posts. Working on adding public speaking and an ebook to the mix.

19. Optimistic Mom

Very good information! I really need to start considering some of the options that you have listed. I think the toughest part is getting started!

20. Amy Lynn Andrews

Hi Heather, great ideas! I couldn’t agree with you more about multiple income streams. I’ve dabbled in most of the online streams you mention, but do have an idea for a “real life” (?) product. Manufacturing, wholesaling, etc. makes my head spin though!

21. Sandra

This is great. You are truly an inspiration. I can feel that things are so helpful, I just need a good shove in the butt to get moving.

Thank you!!
    S

22. Karen Ashwill

Hi Heather,
    Thanks for this article – I’m going to start researching affiliate marketing right now. Hopefully I can get the word out about Swim Shell cover-ups before the darn summer is over!
    Karen

You’re welcome, Karen. 🙂 Let me know how it goes!

23. Sarah

Thinking of doing some revising of the things I do on-line and this was SO timely. A HUGE thank you from me!

24. Veronica

Heather,Thank you for posted a very informative article.keep it up

25. Veronica

You’re such a wonderful mom entrepreneur. Thanks for the information. I’m gonna jump to number 3 and 9 as I was looking for message like this to push me. Again thank you and am gonna inbox you to find more information

26. Shajjad

Hi heathall,
    I am landed here through viperchill.
    I am happy to get you. My wife is thinking to leave her job, but don’t have any plan for what to next. So I am trying to involve her in online marketing.
    Now this will be easier for me to teach her online marketing strategy using your blog content.
    Thanks so much for your great content.

Shajjad

27. Michele

Hi Heather!
    I’ve decided to jump on the Home-Party a.k.a. Trunk Show bandwagon. Providing people the opportunity to shop in the comfort of their homes, amongst their friends, while “earning” free product can’t be a bad thing. I’m in the process of planning marketing and hostess incentive programs now.

28. Alex | Perfecting Dad

Sorry, didn’t mean “only or product” meant “online or product”.

29. Sue

This is very encouraging, Heather. Thank you. Even though I KNOW all this, it’s good to be reminded. We just have to keep moving forward.

30. Alex | Perfecting Dad

Heather, just came to this site from Viperchill. I’m a fairly successful “real-world” entrepreneur (All-In: How I Made $800,000 in a Lifetime and $15,000 Last Week) but I’ve yet to make my mark in the only or product world. I hesitate to go totally online, but I browsed around your site a bit to find that you made your start with physical products. Do you have a sitemap or something that can help me get started with physical products — I have some ideas and I know the general process, but what about the details like how to find manufacturing for a good price, how to mark up, how to manage inventory, etc? Thanks.

Hey Alex!

Yep, I started in the physical products world and then moved to the online products world. LOL.

Are you making an apparel product? If so, email me at heather [at] themogulmom [dot] com and I’d be happy to share some great contacts with you!

Here’s an article on costing: https://www.themogulmom.com/2009/11/how-to-effectively-cost-your-product/.

As far as managing inventory, I started out storing mine in my basement and keeping track of it manually. LOL. Then, when my wholesale business picked up, I hired a fulfillment center to handle inventory/shipping for me. It was awesome. 🙂

Hope this helps!

31. Amy McArthur

Thanks, Heather, for the great info! I am in the process of creating an affiliate program as well as writing an ebook. I’ll have to check out the ebook Evolution! 🙂

Ooh, awesome Amy! Can’t wait to see it! 🙂