Ever feel like you’re a juggler, and that each of the balls you’re tossing in the air represent the priorities in your life, like your husband, kids, household and business?
You’re tired, overwhelmed, unable to figure out what’s next for your business. You need a break, but you just can’t get away. Or can you?
What would happen if you stopped juggling . . . if you took a vacation, went away for a few days, relaxed, focused on yourself and your business, sipped a glass of wine? All the balls would crash to the ground, right?
When you’re a mom entrepreneur, you’re the “Chief Everything Officer” of your home, family and business. You have so many roles and responsibilities that you often wish you had a few extra arms and legs (not to mention heads) to get everything done.
It can feel like a trap sometimes, since you certainly don’t want to forsake your responsibilities by turning your back on them.
But every mompreneur needs a break. And every mompreneur’s family needs her to leave them alone.
Here are four reasons why your family needs you to go away once in a while:
- It’s your job to take care of you. It’s not anyone else’s job. If you get stressed out, burned out, depressed, etc., that is not going to benefit your family. Getting away from your family gives you the chance to recharge your batteries. Be responsible for your own well-being, and by doing so, teach your family to do the same.
- Boundaries are important. It’s okay to say “no” or to be unavailable to your partner and children sometimes. Communicate clearly with your family when you will be gone, what you’ll be doing, why it’s important to you, and when you’ll be back. It’s not selfish to set boundaries—it’s healthy!
- Teach responsibility. You are not the only one who can make dinner, wash the clothes, and help with homework. There are other people living in your household who are capable of helping keep the household running. And these are life skills that will serve them well to learn now. Leave so they can get some practice!
- You need more money, right? To run a successful business, it takes stamina, commitment and innovation. Every entrepreneur hits a plateau, where they’re doing everything they know how to do but aren’t growing or achieving the results they need. Spending some time away from the daily busy-ness of running your business can afford you just that. What could you get done if you weren’t busy with client deadlines and customer orders? Your business needs you to be the visionary that leads it, which is hard to do if you’re consumed by the everyday demands of running it.
Stop making excuses for why you never leave your family, and make some plans to take some time off. You owe it to yourself, your business and your family!
Are you taking some time away from the family this year? How do you think you, your family and your business will benefit?
Latest posts by Lara Galloway (see all)
- The Mom Entrepreneur's Guide to Getting Away from It All - June 12, 2012
- 4 Reasons Your Family Needs a Break from YOU - April 10, 2012
- How To Make Twitter Marketing Fun - December 6, 2011