4 Reasons Your Family Needs a Break from YOU

Ever feel like you’re a juggler, and that each of the balls you’re tossing in the air represent the priorities in your life, like your husband, kids, household and business?

You’re tired, overwhelmed, unable to figure out what’s next for your business. You need a break, but you just can’t get away. Or can you?

What would happen if you stopped juggling . . . if you took a vacation, went away for a few days, relaxed, focused on yourself and your business, sipped a glass of wine? All the balls would crash to the ground, right?

When you’re a mom entrepreneur, you’re the “Chief Everything Officer” of your home, family and business. You have so many roles and responsibilities that you often wish you had a few extra arms and legs (not to mention heads) to get everything done.

It can feel like a trap sometimes, since you certainly don’t want to forsake your responsibilities by turning your back on them.

But every mompreneur needs a break. And every mompreneur’s family needs her to leave them alone.

Here are four reasons why your family needs you to go away once in a while:

1. It’s your job to take care of you. It’s not anyone else’s job. If you get stressed out, burned out, depressed, etc., that is not going to benefit your family. Getting away from your family gives you the chance to recharge your batteries. Be responsible for your own well-being, and by doing so, teach your family to do the same.
  2. Boundaries are important. It’s okay to say “no” or to be unavailable to your partner and children sometimes. Communicate clearly with your family when you will be gone, what you’ll be doing, why it’s important to you, and when you’ll be back. It’s not selfish to set boundaries—it’s healthy!
  3. Teach responsibility. You are not the only one who can make dinner, wash the clothes, and help with homework. There are other people living in your household who are capable of helping keep the household running. And these are life skills that will serve them well to learn now. Leave so they can get some practice!
  4. You need more money, right? To run a successful business, it takes stamina, commitment and innovation. Every entrepreneur hits a plateau, where they’re doing everything they know how to do but aren’t growing or achieving the results they need. Spending some time away from the daily busy-ness of running your business can afford you just that. What could you get done if you weren’t busy with client deadlines and customer orders? Your business needs you to be the visionary that leads it, which is hard to do if you’re consumed by the everyday demands of running it.

Stop making excuses for why you never leave your family, and make some plans to take some time off. You owe it to yourself, your business and your family!

Are you taking some time away from the family this year? How do you think you, your family and your business will benefit?

{Top Photo Credit}

Lara Galloway

Owner at Mom Biz Coach
As the Mom Biz Coach, I am a speaker, business coach and mentor to mom entrepreneurs and small business owners. My passion is helping entrepreneurs create and run businesses that honor their priorities and values. I'm also the co-author of Moms Mean Business: A Guide to Creating a Successful Company and a Happy Life as a Mom Entrepreneur. I am frequently interviewed for my expertise on work/life balance, starting and running a successful small business, marketing your business on Social Media, and creatively managing your time by media like Forbes, Crain’s Business, The Chicago Tribune, and More Magazine. When I'm not working, I'm wrangling my three kids with my husband, drinking good wine or microbrewed beer, and baking something with lots of calories since food is my love language. I love living in Michigan, especially when it's 80 degrees and sunny.

1. Janine Ogg

Hey Lara,

Great post! I think we have a lot in common, it would be fun to connect further about your work and programs.

I totally resonate with what you and the rest of the respondents have been saying here (thanks everyone!) Becoming a mum myself 19 months ago has definitely opened my eyes to the challenges Mumtrepreneurs face, it’s a whole different ball game that’s for sure!

Although it’s difficult to get away for the night or weekend at the moment because we’ve chosen to breastfeed to full term, I do take ‘micro’ breaks regularly, the most important being my yoga classes 2-3 times a week, and my day’s out in the bush on nature walks. These totally invigorate me!

Some weeks, it is very easy to forget the importance of these two activities and instead put everyone else’s needs first, so it’s great to get regular reminders like this blog post.

Thanks again, looking forward to connecting more in the future.
    Janine

2. Lynne

Hi Lara,

Still looking for the right place for now, but I will definitely find one for me. 🙂

3. Lynne

Very nice post! All that you said are true. Most of the time I really like to go away just to relax my mind and body but its really hard to do it. But now after reading this I will surely follow everything you said. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Lara Galloway

It is hard to do, Lynne. I didn’t get away for about five years while the kids were really young and we were living in Canada, so no parents to swoop in and help out. But now I getaway 3-4 weekends a year, usually Thursday through Sunday, and man oh man, is life better. Just bought my tickets for BlogHer ’12 in NYC, and I am planning to have. some. fun. Where will you go?

4. Marita

Haha @Lara, I remember when going to the grocery store at the end of the day was the best I could come up with – just to get out of the house quickly!! It is LAME!!

So I was thinking about it throughout the day and decided to go to Massage Envy at least twice a month on a schedule 🙂 Not quite a physical getaway I know, but a mental one! And while I’m laying on that table I will think about a real getaway, maybe a retreat like you and @Heather suggested, or maybe just a hotel on the beach. I can do this! And yes, my family will love it too, but hopefully not too much 🙂

• Lara Galloway

Awesome idea, Marita! I love how a getaway can be completely mental. Love that you’re putting it on your calendar and making it a routine. Good for you!

5. Julia Campbell

I honestly could not have read this at a more appropriate time. Thank you so much for putting things in perspective. I need a vacation not just from my business (I’m a solopreneur) but from all my other obligations and responsibilities as well. Now the only question is… where shall I go? Any ideas?

• Lara Galloway

Hey Julia–There are so many good getaways. There are companies out there that plan girlfriend getaways. You pay one price, and they organize every last detail. You can bring a friend or join up with a group. Of course, there are all the conferences coming up soon, and most are in fabulous cities that are worth a visit themselves, and meanwhile you can connect with some great women who you’ll probably claim as friends by the end of the weekend.

Do you have a friend or family member who will travel with you? Honestly, a weekend is enough to really recharge. I’ve even just snuck away to a bed and breakfast one town away from my house to get a break. Cheap, easy to organize… Treat yourself to eating at a different restaurant for each meal. Walk or ride bikes around from place to place. Visit an artist’s community to stimulate your senses. Find a winery that offers wine tastings… I could go on and on…

6. Julie

Thanks for the reminder to put ourselves first at times. I call that the Airplane Philosophy – “put your oxygen mask on first before helping others who need assistance.” I love the idea of getting away to work on the major overall plans for my business – figure out a social media strategy that I can stick with, get an editorial calendar planned out for the year, research some new potential markets for future sales…. All things that get pushed aside by the day to day business of life.

I hate to say it, but my family loves when I go away! They buy junk food, stay in their pajamas all day, and play computers nonstop. Why wouldn’t they like it?? 🙂

Lol. Sounds like they have a great time without you. 🙂

7. Marita

I’m realizing that it’s been years that I’ve had a relaxing vacation. It’s always about the family and I’m usually exhausted coming home. I also realize that I don’t even know any more what I’d like to do. Actually I think I just want to lay somewhere in the warm sun; but I don’t want to be alone either – now what? Where can I get peace and quiet but not be alone? Trying to figure this out is much harder than running a business 😉

Maybe you could take a vacation with some girlfriends or fellow mom entrepreneurs, Marita?

• Lara Galloway

Hey Marita–I have to say the cruelest joke ever is the “family vacation,” especially when your kids are young. There is nothing relaxing about it, is there?

And it can be so hard to know how to spend your time away. I remember one time my husband told me I needed to get out of the house (bless his heart), and asked me where I wanted to go. It had been so long since I’d thought about anything I wanted (since having my first child had made me only focus on what other people in my house NEEDED). I was out of practice. All I could come up with was to go grocery shopping. LAME!

Whatever you do, pick something that includes pampering, relaxing, stimulation, meals that are awesome that you don’t lift a finger for and that are served to you by someone else, and good company.

I’d love for you to check out the Mom Biz Retreat (www.mombizretreat.com) in Denver in June if you’re still looking for good ideas! We do work you hard (you’ll feel sooooo productive and sure of your business decisions afterwards), but we pamper you, too. Think martinis and manicures, wine and chocolate, fantastic women who get you….

• Jenn McGroary

Oh my gosh, is it ever! (family vacations) We are still responsible for cooking, cleaning, getting kids wrangled, planning, etc.

My best and only “vacation” was when I went down to NC for my brother’s return from Iraq, 4+ years ago. The rest of my family (parents, sister/brother & their families) were all going down there to welcome him home. We couldn’t afford for all of us (my husband & 3 kids) to go, so I was able to go myself.

It was the absolute best time! I didn’t have to be responsible to anyone but myself for the week! I hung out with my single uncle who’d flown down with me and we avoided some of the craziness of the other families during some of the trip. 🙂 It was great. I came back refreshed and recharged. I didn’t hear a single “mom!!!” the whole trip.

I definitely need to schedule a time like that again.

8. Sharon

Thank you, I just recently had a crying breakdown due to the fact that I felt so completely guilty with the thought I needed a break from my family. And it is reassuring to know that this is normal. Thank you for this.

Totally normal! I’m glad Lara’s post came at the right time, Sharon. 🙂

• Lara Galloway

Yep, Heather said it–You are NORMAL! No matter how much you love them, you need to get away from them sometimes. Even better if you can go somewhere with some other women who understand how you feel. You’ll come back recharged and sooooo much better able to take care of them! Sending you a big virtual hug. Been there 🙂

9. Lara Galloway

I hear ya, Jenn!

AND, I hear some backpeddling there. “I think I need to sit down and schedule both to happen in the next several months” is different from saying “I will schedule both to happen by June 30th.”

So what’s it gonna be? Pull out your calendar and mark some dates on it to hold yourself accountable. I love that you see the value of caring for your marriage as well as caring for yourself. That’s so important.

I see a couple of great trips in your future :). Would so love you to join us in Denver!

• Jenn McGroary

Ha! You’re right Lara, I need to put that deadline in there. 🙂

Definitely looking into that this weekend. Need to tee up babysitting for my boys for us to get away. 🙂

Thanks for the accountability factor!

• Jenn McGroary

P.S. I know I’ll get a more receptive “yes” to my vacation if we’ve had some time together first. 😉

10. Jenn McGroary

Laura,

The universe has been sending me many signs that it is time for me to take another vacation. The only thing that holds me back is that it has been a long time since my husband and I got away alone as well.

I think I need to sit down and schedule both to happen in the next several months. That way he won’t be jealous of the time I take away from everything. 🙂