The Best Places for Mom Entrepreneurs to Work It

Being a home-based mom entrepreneur has many benefits; a casual dress code, lots of flexibility, a travel-free commute to your office, and most importantly, getting to do something that you truly love each and every day.

But no matter how happy you are working from home, there will come a time that being cooped up at home isn’t working.

Whether it’s distractions, isolation, or having to meet a client, there are going to be days when working at your kitchen table just isn’t going to cut it.

So when these times happen, use some of the suggestions below to keep yourself productive, sane and inspired.

Are Distractions Getting the Best of You?

Have you ever had one of those days when daily chores, pets, television, and family members were keeping you from getting anything done? This is when you know it’s time to pack it up and take your business elsewhere.

• The Library – Not only quiet, but most public libraries have free WIFI and cozy, little tables for you to work at. Best of all there’s no need to purchase cup after cup of coffee, and because of its quiet environment, you are forced to turn off your cell phone and focus on the task at hand.

• Chamber of Commerce – Your local chamber of commerce is there to help small businesses like yours succeed and thrive. In fact, many chambers offer members conference rooms and office space for temporary usage. Check with your local chapter to see what membership benefits entail.

Feeling Lonely?

Are you feeling isolated and alone? Is social media interaction not fulfilling your need for human contact? Then there is a good chance that you need a good dose of real life social interaction.

• A Coffee Shop – Great for people watching and interacting with other human beings, most coffee shops have free WIFI and outlets for you to plug into. And because coffee shops are notorious for housing the work at home crowd, you’re bound to make some new connections. Restaurants can also go into this category, as many of them offer free WIFI for their patrons.

• A Hotel Lobby – Filled with business travelers and conference attendees, hotel lobbies are a wonderful place to work and mingle. Many offer free WIFI and have cushy tables, chairs, and sofas for you to use. With food, coffee, and a business center usually just a few steps away, what else you your ask for?

Meeting a Client?

Keeping your house clean on a daily basis is tough enough, but throw in meeting a client at your home and you have to go into double duty. Not to mention the casualness of the environment, might not be appropriate for the situation.

• An Office Co-Op – Becoming more and more popular everyday, office co-ops allow small business owners to rent office space and conference rooms as needed. Equipped with all of the office equipment a business owner could need, office coops offer a professional and affordable way to meet with clients.

• A Hotel Conference Room – You may be thinking that there is no way you can afford to rent a hotel conference room for the day – not true. Many hotels are able to break their large conference rooms into smaller spaces, and if they don’t have the space filled, you could negotiate a hefty discount. Some hotels will even throw in food and beverages.

The great thing about being a home-based entrepreneur is that you have flexibility to work when and where you want, whether that’s from home or around town.

Where is your favorite place to work when you’re not in your home office?

Holly Hanna

Holly Hanna is the founder of theworkathomewoman.com. Named by Forbes as one of the top 100 websites for your career, The Work at Home Woman is an advocate for telecommuting and home-based businesses that empower women to balance life on their own terms.

1. Megan Flatt

I usually head out to a coffee shop but I LOVE the idea of a hotel lobby! I am going to have to figure out a good one in my area especially with an inspiring view, great idea!

I lost my home office after my second baby was born and after getting frustrated working at the dinning room table, I carved out a tiny desk space next to my bed. I really like having a landing place and a place where all my work can live when I am not working. Now I can work at home if the kids are here, or out when I have childcare!

2. Sara

I wrote a (free) white paper on how to create a productive home office based on my own experiences. Feel free to check it out!

• Holly Hanna

Thanks Sara – I’ll make sure to check it out.

3. Tania Elfersy (@PurpleLeavesRed)

My favorite place to work (away from my desk) is at my networking group! Seriously, when I first set up my business, I felt I had such a tight work schedule (fitting in my work around the kids), that I needed to be at home in front of my computer at any available opportunity. Then I discovered a business networking group. Apart from being a great place to develop business contacts and find support, it also provides a scheduled escape from the sometimes lonely environment of the home office.

• Holly Hanna

I haven’t tried working in an office coop or networking group yet, but it sounds like fun.

4. Lisa Anderson

Some awesome ideas. I love to work in hotel lobbies while traveling – makes me feel not quite so cooped up like in the hotel room, and I love to people watch. I also like to work at one of the tables at Barnes & Noble. I’ll treat myself to a latte and slowly savor it as I work. I have worked i our SUV, but it’s not nearly as much fun as working in a comfy chair with some great scenery.

• Holly Hanna

I love working in hotel lobbies too – it makes me feel like I’ve traveled to some chic city, even though I’m still in my hometown.

5. Jamie

These are some great ideas. There are so many distractions at home that it’s nice to work somewhere else some times!

• Holly Hanna

There are a lot of distractions at home, and getting out helps with keeping the cabin fever away.

6. Nicole

I, too, get a lot of work done in my van at soccer practice! It’s not very glamorous, but it’s the epitomy of multi-tasking! And it’s a change of scenery from my dining room table.

• Holly Hanna

Popular place to work =) I’m sure I’ll be working in my car once my daughter is enrolled in more activities and is in school full-time.

7. Sarah Clachar

Holly, some great ideas. I’ve found by default I’m often working in my car during track meets. However, I love the public library. I worked as a public library advocate for a while and used it for my kids. It’s also the place I meet with my accountant. Most public libraries have meeting rooms you can use for free that are a great place to use for business meetings.

• Holly Hanna

I actually had a friend whose husband worked in this car quite frequently. He had a whole office type set up in his SUV, it was pretty cool.

8. Ali Davies

It is Heather. But swapping it soon for sea views your side of the pond. We are currently sorting out moving to Vancouver, Canada to live.

• Holly Hanna

Wow – Sounds like from one great location to another! Love Vancouver!

• Ali Davies

It certainly is Hanna. All part of the Team Davies “design the ideal life” plans. My husband and I always lived in places our corporate jobs dictated. But when we both escaped corporate life 10 years ago, we decided to always live in places that we loved and had chosen rather than places dictated by careers. It has been a very liberating process. And living by the sea is a dream come rtue.

9. Ali Davies

My favourite alternative place to work outside of the home office is a hotel lounge that overlooks the sea – it has stunning views over the coastline. I find it helps creative thinking and ideas being somewhere with an inspiring view. I call it my boardroom as it is also the place I do my monthly strategy, goals and action plan review meetings.