Three Online Courses To Help You Level Up Your Game
A lot of our mompreneurs are eager to either get started in a new business or ramp up their existing skills. I’ve rounded up my three favorite classes from Skillshare to help you start doing the work you love for those who need you most. For those who don’t know, Skillshare is an awesome online learning platform with over 17,000 classes across business, design, marketing, photography, and much more.
You can check them out for free, right here.
The New Business Toolbox
Seth Godin’s video class The New Business Toolbox: Help Your New Business Do It Right The First Time is bar-none my favorite class I’ve taken on Skillshare. No matter where you are in your entrepreneurial journey you’re sure to come away with a new perspective on business, your business model, and how to transact business.
It’s literally jam packed with information you can really use. I found myself pausing the videos time and again to write down the important points. When I was done with the hour long class I had more than three full pages of insights, including:
- The fundamental difference between a freelancer and an entrepreneur – I feel like I had a slight grasp on this before the class, but I really get it now.
- What a business model should truly look like – He really dives into this and I found it supremely helpful.
- How to create regret-free transactions with others – Understanding how to leverage relationships on both sides of the fence.
- How to fund your business – And not just any way, but the safe and comfortable way.
- When and how to outsource – Including how to ‘try before you buy’.
- The two reasons your business name is so important – Chances are you haven’t thought of the first one.
- Thoughts on pricing – Three reasons you’re pricing yourself too cheaply and why they’re all wrong.
- A smart positioning exercise – How to find your perfect spot in the marketplace.
He includes outside exercises to force you to expand your thinking and a simple yet effective grid example in the last module to illustrate things in a way that’s super easy to understand. It’s literally impossible to come away from this class without feeling smarter and far better equipped to do good business.
This fast-moving class is literally brimming with information, including hands-on, strategic and practical tactics every small business person should consider as she sets out to grow her business.
Presentation Essentials: How to Share Ideas That Inspire Action
Simon Sinek is a thought leader whose TED talks have 20+ million views. In this super insightful class, Presentation Essentials, he teaches us how to share ideas that inspire action, how to banish fears of public speaking, and how to make your next oral presentation truly unforgettable. Key concepts include:
- The end goal of presenting – Where you want people to get to and how to keep them interested with storytelling (not with facts), and how to create an outline of your talk.
- Deconstructing the story – The linear process of breaking down what you’ve said and why it matters.
- Designing your talk with presentation techniques – How showing up with a ‘giving mentality’ versus a ‘taking’ mentality makes all the difference.
- The importance of practicing – Making sure you’re comfortable with your talk as well as equipped with the correct presentation skills.
- Presenting tips – Including powerful tips on how to ‘own the room’ and what to do if you lose your train of thought.
The class is perfect for creatives, event speakers, and anyone looking to make lasting connections. You’ll finish the class with a strong understanding of not only how to create a compelling talk, but also how to present it in a way that will leave you etched on the minds and hearts of your audience.
Hosted by Justin Gignac and Claire Wasserman of Working Not Working, Going Freelance is all about setting yourself up for success as a new or aspiring freelancer. In just 50 minutes they share everything you need to know to go it alone as a professional, including:
- How to define your personal mission – An essential step in drilling down on the work you really want to do; the stuff that moves you.
- The power of side projects – By working on things you love you position yourself as an expert in that field.
- What all great portfolios do – Tips on how to best present yourself and your work, including some awesome examples to inspire you.
- Marketing yourself like a pro – How to represent yourself and your brand in a way that draws people to you (without looking desperate or salesy).
- Networking – How to proactively collaborate and build relationships without feeling pressured and without making it a job in and of itself.
- Business fundamentals – Understanding how (and when) to get paid, when to hire (and who), and other ways to polish your presence.
This class offers a comprehensive overview that lays the foundation for going freelance and all the things to consider. Each video lesson shares relevant examples, stories, and tips to spark your thinking about ways to seek out the work you want as well as how to draw work back to you. You’ll finish the class empowered, enlightened, and ready to take on the freelance world.
Skillshare is an online video classroom covering courses, projects, and workshops on the topics of business, technology, design, and lifestyle. For under $9 a month you can take unlimited classes. It’s a fantastic investment, and one I highly recommend. You can sign up here to get two free months of Skillshare premium and enjoy everything they have to offer for 60 days before making up your mind. It’s a great way to get acquainted with the platform, browse classes, and see if it’s right for you.
Latest posts by Melissa Bolton (see all)
- Three Online Courses To Help You Level Up Your Game - October 24, 2017
- Everything You Need To Do The Work You Love Without Leaving Home - October 15, 2017
- 20 Must Read Books For Every eCommerce Business Owner - September 8, 2017