Getting hit by an uninsured motorist gives rise to many questions. Some of the questions include – Will you be able to claim compensation for your injuries or should you hire a car accident attorney to deal with your case. Unfortunately, not all drivers have auto insurance even when they drive regularly. They generally opt not to carry forward their insurance policies and allow them to lapse. When an uninsured driver causes an accident, it creates a major challenge for everyone involved.
Car accident victims cannot obtain compensation from an uninsured motorist. This is because there is no insurance company involved. The best way to get money for your loss is to file a police complaint and hire an attorney who can deal with your case easily.
What to Do When an Uninsured Motorist Hits You?
Inform the Police
You must inform the police on time. This is so that even if the other driver is uninsured you still have a formal case that is registered with the police. This helps you to use the police complaint copy to claim your expenses when the time is right. This eases out the process of claims.
Don’t Accept Money in a Hurry
Since the other driver doesn’t have access to formal insurance you should wait. If you accept money in a hurry you may face fines and fees. This means the person guilty is trying to avoid legal implications which he may have to face in the form of a formal complaint about the accident registered by you.
Gather Proper Information
Registering formal complaints helps you to gather information about the vehicle and its registration details. You should also gather information about witnesses who have seen the accident occur to make your case stronger. This helps you to gather details and make your case stronger in front of the court or your insurance company.
Take Pictures for Evidence
Take proper pictures of the number plate of the vehicle, details of the driver’s license, and the direction in which each vehicle was traveling. All of these are important details while you file a claim. Such pictures make your case stronger in your own insurance company.
Insurance Claims Against Uninsured Motorist
- You should have your insurance card out.
- You need your policy number to file a claim.
- Specify the date, time, and location of the accident.
- File the pictures with the insurance claim as a mark of evidence.
- The claim representative will ask for all details about the driver involved in the accident.
- You will also need to provide the report number of the police complaint.
How Will You Get Money for Your Loss?
- Hire a car accident lawyer who can help you with various aspects of claiming your expenses from your own insurance company when you are hit by an uninsured motorist.
- The lawyer will provide you all necessary information related to the parties involved.
- The lawyer also ensures you have a better idea about the insurance claim.
- You can use the help of your car accident lawyer to negotiate well with the insurance company.
- This helps you to get complete compensation for your injuries and the damage caused to your vehicle.
The car accident lawyer provides you complete support so you can navigate the claim process smoothly. This means with the help of your lawyer you can gain complete access to the compensation you deserve which decreases your overall stress from the financial burden caused and helps you to focus on your recovery.